Author Byline: CareerAlley
Author Website: http://Careeralley.com
“Whatever you have, you must either use or lose.” – Henry Ford
I had drinks with a former co-worker the other day who has been out of work for over a year. I’m sure you all know someone (maybe even you) who have been out of work for an extended period of time. My friend has excellent experience and an Ivy League graduate degree, so how can he still be out of work? I actually think the main reason is that he is just not very good at looking for a job. Sound strange? Not really – “use it or lose it”, “you snooze, you lose”. You know how it goes, you need to get there first. Successful job search is a combination of skills (yours), getting in front of the right people, giving a great impression and getting there early in the process. Research is a key part of your job search strategy, and the most admired companies should be on your list. Today’s companies range from Oil to Beer and collectively have over 1,900 job opportunities.
- Anadarko Petroleum – One of the largest independent oil and natural gas exploration and production companies, Anadarko’s careers page is crisp. The page leads with an overview, followed by a link for viewing available jobs. The left hand side of the page has links for benefits, college recruiting and job listings. The college recruiting page is comprehensive, with links to internships by category. There were 11 job opportunities when I checked the page.
- Anheuser-Busch – Most of us know what Anheuser-Busch is known for (you guessed it, beer). You won’t easily find their careers page from their main web pages (you can use the link at the start of this paragraph), but once there the rest is easy. There are links on the left hand side of the page for the company overview, career paths, recruiting and opportunities. Click opportunities for the search page. There were 23 job opportunities when I checked the page.
- Apple – Apple has been on the upswing for some time now, and they are admired on many fronts. Their career page has two paths, Apple Pro and Apple Store. A fairly simple page, which has Start Your Search at the top right hand side. You then select Retail or Corporate jobs center page. Clicking Search Jobs links to a job search engine. You can register for the site or just search. A generic search of Corporate jobs returned 957 corporate job opportunities when I checked the site (be sure to check their retail jobs as well).
- Applied Materials – Semiconductors (Nanomanufacturing Technology solutions) is the name of the game for Applied Materials. A great career site, with links on the left hand side for College Recruiting, Military Recruiting (for those returning to the civilian world), Job Fairs, Search for Jobs and more. Center page has special links for Solar Jobs, Hot Jobs in Taiwan and additional links center page for experienced hires and college internships. There were 161 job opportunities when I checked the page.
- Aramark – Did you say outsourcing? That is what Aramark does, but what they really do is provide professional services in food services, facilities management and more. Their careers page has a great overview center page with links to Job Search, Careers and Benefits. The left hand side of the screen has links for Job Search, Hourly Positions, the Application Process, Careers, College Internships and more. There were 777 job opportunities when I checked the page.
Good luck in your search.
Article courtesy of the Recruiting Blogswap, a content exchange service sponsored by CollegeRecruiter.com, a leading site for college students looking for internships and recent graduates searching for entry level jobs and other career opportunities.