October 29, 2009 by sparktalk
I graduated this summer and still don’t have a job. Someone told me it’s a good idea to take some online classes to develop my skills. However, I’m broke! Are there any free courses that would be good to take online?
As a recent graduate, I am assuming that it is your job seeking skills you are looking to develop! Needless to say there are a great many free resources available online, starting with Careerealism… My blog also offers some helpful links for job searching (to the right) as well as helpful resources for networking. I would recommend Twitter and LinkedIn to learn what knowledge and skills are valued in your targeted industry.
Where you look for upping your skills depends on what skills you want to upgrade, naturally. There is an enormous amount of free information available to anyone seeking, much of it free. If it is industry related look to professional organization websites for information that can be valuable to you in a number of ways.
- You will be up on the latest “hot topics,” giving you something to talk about when you are able to interact with a potential employer or while networking.
- It will quickly become obvious where your knowledge deficits are and you can begin working toward improving in any areas you identify.
- You will likely be able to acquire practical information that will bring you beyond the point of learning at time of graduation.
- Many professional sites provide networking opportunities, if not employment opportunities.
- There will likely be links to other sites that might be of benefit for you currently, or after you are employed.
Beyond industry specific websites, here is a brief list of sites I have recommended or use myself:
Typing Test: www.typingtest.com
Computer/Microsoft Office/Other Training: www.gcflearnfree.org
Job Search: www.careerbuilder.com
Job Search: www.indeed.com
Job Service: http://www.dllr.state.md.us/lmi/index.shtml
Leadership and Management: http://www.mindtools.com/
Sites new to me, but I am VERY impressed!:
Locate credible information on just about anything on the web http://www.vts.intute.ac.uk/
Develop professional skills through community learning: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/rampup/default.aspx
Hope this helps!
Read more articles: